We're with you in all weathers
When our clients find themselves involved in shipping disputes, we're always there and ready to provide comprehensive legal assistance worldwide. Through our defence insurance we make it our purpose to protect your business as your second-to-none, global service partner.
Our Defence team offers comprehensive legal assistance worldwide. The team is made up of professional lawyers representing 17 different jurisdictions and with extensive legal experience.
Working closely with members and assureds, Skuld Defence offers assistance in handling shipping disputes. They may also proactively review relevant clauses in charterparties or contracts to minimise the risk of disputes.
Our aim is to provide swift, satisfactory, and cost-effective solutions to shipping disputes.
Skuld Defence cover, also known as FD&D (Freight, Demurrage & Defence), provides members and assureds with access to comprehensive legal assistance and professional advice from Skuld's lawyers in shipping disputes included in the cover (non-P&I matters). This cover is available to shipowners and charterers.
Defence cover includes disputes arising out of the following:
- Carriage of cargo, bills of lading and charterparties
- Carriage of passengers
- Crew employment contracts
- Personal injuries or loss of life
- Damage to property
- Contracts with port agents
- The use of port facilities and supplies to the vessel
- Contracts with brokers
- Loss, damage or delay to the vessel
- General average, salvage and towage
- Insurance contracts relating to the vessel
- Repairs to the vessel
- Building, conversion, alteration, purchase, mortgaging or sale of the vessel (at additional premium)